When to Service Your HVAC System
When you purchase a home, you hopefully learned that one of the many things that need to be serviced on a regular basis is the HVAC system. Your air conditioner and heater are powerful workhorses that keep your home comfortable throughout the year, and you won’t notice them too much…until you don’t have them! This is why it’s so important to keep track of your service records and stay on top of your schedule.
At Colorado Heating & Air Limited, we are HVAC contractors who are dedicated to maintaining and fixing your home’s air conditioner and heater. We have proudly served the Thornton, Colorado area since 2013, and take pride in our dedication to nothing but the best possible service. Whether you need 24-hour furnace repair, a new air conditioner, or regular maintenance, we’ve got you covered. Contact us now!
To learn more about maintaining your HVAC system to keep it running optimally, read on!
How Often Should I Schedule Maintenance Appointments?
One thing that should be handled by an HVAC contractor is the maintenance that should be done twice a year. Your technician can go through all the parts, filters, and other components to make sure everything is in top condition. Minor repairs now will save you money (and stress) down the road. The increased efficiency of your parts and machines will lead to better efficiency throughout your home, meaning you’ll save money on energy bills, too.
They can also calibrate your thermostat, and if yours is outdated, they can install a new one. Having a programmable thermostat is a huge benefit because you can set schedules for heating and cooling, and even turn the system off when you’re not at home all day.
What Time of Year Should I Schedule HVAC Tune-Ups?
Scheduling your bi-annual maintenance requires some planning. Make sure you do it once in the spring before your A/C starts running and once in the fall before your heater starts for the cooler months. Don’t wait too long or your technician won’t be able to run important tests because of the weather. Some clients like to use daylight savings as a guideline, which is also when they change fire alarm batteries and other important maintenance around the home.
In the Meantime…
- To keep your HVAC system running optimally throughout the year, it’s important that you perform regular tasks. Put these on your calendar so you don’t forget!
- Every month, change the filter. If the filter becomes too blocked by dust and other debris, it’ll block your air flow, which makes the system work overtime to push air.
- Also be sure to check the air conditioner outside to make sure it’s not being blocked by yard toys, debris, wasp nests, and other items. If you have bushes and plants nearby, trim them so they’re no closer than 18″ to the unit.
- Go through your home to make sure the registers and vents throughout aren’t obstructed. Sometimes, especially in kids’ rooms, they can be covered up by clothes and toys. If you have a rug or other furniture covering them, you’ll have to do some minor rearranging.
- If you notice anything that doesn’t feel right or sound right, call Colorado Heating & Air right away. The longer you let an issue go, the more extensive the damage will be, and you’ll wish you had taken care of it in the first place.